2+2 Elementary Education (BA)
Earn your teaching degree through flexible classes designed for placebound, working professionals
- Next cohort tentatively scheduled to begin Summer 2023
- Join us for an information meeting to learn more about the program!
Which elementary education pathway is right for me?
Entirely Online | 51 Credits | 2 Years
- Designed for those pursuing and/or have an AA degree or a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Build a lifelong network of teachers and study with the same group of adult learners throughout the program
- Options to add a double major in Elementary & Middle Level Education or add a minor in Early Childhood Education, Literacy Education, or Social and Emotional Learning
To be admitted, students must:
- complete the UNI application for admission
- send official transcripts to the Office of Admissions
- have (or completing) an Associate of Arts degree or a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
Upon admittance to UNI, students are required to apply to the Teacher Education Program by May 1 before their first term.
A flexible online pathway for non-traditional students
Designed for those who are:
- Seeking an elementary or middle-level teaching degree
- Looking to change jobs or careers and may wish to stay in their home community
- Ready to build upon current roles, such as paraeducators or child care workers
- Need flexibility due to family/work obligations or other life circumstances
Delivered entirely online
Courses are offered entirely online using a combination of Zoom video conferencing and Blackboard, a learning management system that will enhance your learning experience and provide a sense of community with fellow classmates. In addition to the online courses, some optional in-person classes may be available at a central location.
In-school field experiences and student teaching are required.
Individualized support services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
Job openings in Iowa
According to Future Ready Iowa, more than 425 elementary education teaching jobs are available in the state each year.
of elementary school teachers in central Iowa, according to Future Ready Iowa.
years of history
Since 1995, more than 300 teachers have graduated from our program and have excelled in their teaching careers.
Our Staff & Featured Faculty
As a UNI Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation, and much more. Additionally, your classes will be taught by the same distinguished, full-time faculty who teach on campus.
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
To be admitted, students must:
- have an Associate of Arts (AA) degree or a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- submit official transcripts, sent directly to the Office of Admissions
Upon admittance to UNI, students are required to apply to the Teacher Education Program by May 1 of their first term.
Delivery of the program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.
This program meets the licensure requirements for the state of Iowa. UNI has not determined if the program meets the licensure requirements in any other state.