National Student Exchange
You can study at another college or university within the United States, its territories or Canada while paying UNI tuition — experience specialized courses and unique programs!
Where Will You Go?
Have you ever thought of attending another university far away, but still within the United States, its territories and Canada? With the National Student Exchange (NSE) Program, you can do just that! You can choose to attend one of 165+ colleges and universities for one or two semesters while paying UNI tuition.
- Grow both educationally and personally
- Become better acquainted with a new region, its people and customs
- Expand your academic resume through educational opportunities not available at UNI
- Expose yourself to distinctive ethnic or cultural activities that will help broaden your horizons
*If you are not a current UNI student, find out more about attending UNI through National Student Exchange.
Choose from 165+ institutions
You'll have the opportunity to experience the culture, diversity, educational trends and geography at one of the 165+ participating colleges and universities in the United States, its territories and Canada. The top 5 destinations include:
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- New Mexico State University
- University of Montana
- California State University - San Bernardino
- University of Idaho
Please note: UNI exchanges with Home Payment schools only and does not exchange with schools in Iowa.
Plan your courses
Working with your academic advisor, you will select courses and submit a Preliminary Transfer Credit Evaluation to the UNI Admissions/Enrollment Services Office which will determine the transferability of work to be completed at the host campus. Once approved, credit earned while on exchange will be shown as transfer credit on your UNI transcript. Grades will transfer.
Attend another university and pay only UNI's tuition
UNI is a Home Payment school, allowing you to pay UNI tuition while attending another Home Payment campus. Tuition must be paid in full prior to leaving on exchange. Room, board and special fees are assessed at the host campus. Transportation and other expenses are additional costs and must be taken into consideration. Financial aid needs are assessed and awarded by UNI.
To qualify for participation in NSE, you must meet the following criteria:
- Maintain a UNI and a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better at the time of application and exchange
- Have completed at least 30 UNI hours at the time of exchange
- Retain full-time status as a UNI student at both the time of application and in the semester prior to exchange
- Be considered in good standing as defined by UNI
- Attend an informational meeting, when available (dates TBA)
Post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for exchange.
For more information: contact Linda Emery, NSE Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
After you attend an informational session, you will receive an email with a link to the application. Your application and $250 non-refundable application fee (paid online upon submitting your application) are due no later than February 13, 2023. Upon submitting your application, you will be required to meet with the NSE coordinator to discuss your exchange details. All meetings will be held via Zoom.
Begin your journey.
Placements for the upcoming year will be made in March. Withdrawal from the program after placement will be allowed only in rare instances and requires the permission of an NSE coordinator.