Professional Development for Educators
Build new skills, earn an endorsement or explore our graduate programs for educators. With a long-standing reputation, award-winning faculty and dedicated support staff, the University of Northern Iowa is the right choice for professional development for educators.
Work-Based Learning Seminar Series
The University of Northern Iowa, in collaboration with the Iowa Department of Education, is now offering a seminar series that provides up-to-date training and information on how to use Work-Based Learning (WBL) in Career and Technical Education (CTE) and non-CTE classrooms.
See below for seminar details.
Iowa's Geological Resources
Earn two units of graduate credit and learn about Iowa's geological resources through an activity-based short course (EARTHSCI 6233 Iowa's Geological Resources for Teachers) through the University of Northern Iowa. Participate in several exciting, hands-on activities in the field, and meet other Earth science teachers from across the state. Discuss what’s working and what’s not in your classrooms and share your tried-and-true methods for teaching about the geology of Iowa.Learn more and apply
- Designed to develop and extend the expertise of educators in both leadership and classroom positions who wish to specialize in the area of literacy education
- Fosters professional development for practicing teachers
- Engages learners in critical thinking and strategic processing
Join us for a webinar on March 8!Literacy Education (MAE)
- Choose from three degree options: Elementary and Middle Grades (K-8), Secondary Teaching or Community College Teaching
- Courses are delivered online, providing convenience for current teachers
- Connect with peers in-person during two weeks of instruction on the UNI campus during the summer terms
- Designed for those seeking endorsement in Iowa as a PK-12 Principal/PK-12 Supervisor of Special Education
- Award-winning faculty who have led and practiced in the field, and conducted a wide array of research, are now your teachers and mentors
- Program requirements and outcomes are based on Iowa leadership standards
Current Work-Based Learning Seminar Series
Seminar #1: Essentials of Work-Based Learning
Learn the types of work-based learning, basic steps needed to start a successful program in your school and how to gain buy-in from stakeholders. Enroll anytime and complete the course in four weeks.
Seminar #2: Finding and Maintaining Business Partners
Explore the ways to overcome challenges in developing a business network, learn how to evaluate quality work-based learning projects and discover new avenues to create industry partners. Enroll anytime and complete the course in four weeks.
Music Workshops for Educators
Join us for one or both of our 2022 Music Workshops for educators:
- Audio Engineering for Educators Workshop, June 23-24
- RockShop! Modern Band Workshop, June 27-28
Leadership Camp 1.2
An opportunity for practicing leaders to engage in dialogue with colleagues around the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL) and aligned evidence.