Individual Studies (BA)
Bachelor of Arts
If the university does not offer your desired major, it may be possible for you to create your own program of study through the Individual Studies major.
- Online, Hybrid, or On-Campus Delivery
- Personalized support and advising
- Enables you to design an individualized major by selecting courses from several academic departments
- Opportunity to explore interdisciplinary major of study before those areas are formally adopted as departmental or interdepartmental majors
- Personalized academic advising to assist you in building and progressing in your major
- Develop skills directly related to your interests and career goals by creating a customized concentration area
Programs offered through Individual Studies
Your first step is to consult with Linda Emery, Individual Studies Coordinator, regarding the feasibility of designing an Individual Studies major in a particular area. If the University does not have faculty or curricular resources for the area requested, you will be so advised. Also, if you do not appear academically prepared, or if your plans are not sufficiently clear, recommendations will be provided.
You are required to identify a central organized theme for their major and design it under the guidance of four interdisciplinary faculty members and the Individual Studies Director. In most cases, an undergraduate thesis will be required of this major. Examples of past individual studies majors include writing and health sciences.
The individual studies program is not intended to provide a secondary alternative to existing majors.
UNI Continuing Ed Production Build