Iowa Reading K-8
Learn how to help students become skilled and successful readers, while adding an Iowa endorsement to your teaching credentials.
- Next cohort begins: Summer 2023
Entirely Online | 15 Credits | 1.5 Years
- Designed for practicing teachers who hold an Iowa K-6 teaching license
- Learn how to assess students' reading and design and implement instruction
- Interested in the Iowa 5-12 Reading Endorsement? These courses will fulfill a portion of the licensure requirements.
Here to Help
As a UNI Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation, and much more.
Associate Professor, Curriculum & Instruction
Courses are designed with the following outcomes:
- Language Development and Emergent Literacy: Students synthesize the language development knowledge base and apply connections to current practice.
- Children’s Literature for Diversity and Social Justice: Students develop a position statement on an identified ideological, cultural, or sociopolitical issue grounded in current research.
- Assessment and Evaluation of Literacy: Students demonstrate knowledge and application of literacy assessments used to develop instruction for children who struggle with literacy learning.
- Advanced Literacy Practices: Students develop literacy instruction to meet the needs of children who struggle with literacy learning.
Experience in Literacy-Tutoring: Working with a child who struggles with literacy learning, students assess, evaluate, develop, and implement an individual literacy program to meet the needs of the child.
Delivered Entirely Online
Courses are offered entirely online using Blackboard, a dynamic platform that will enhance your learning experience and sense of community with fellow classmates. Some courses include a real-time connection through interactive video conferencing methods.
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the UNI Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information, and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
To enroll, students need to complete our online enrollment form.
Questions about course enrollment can be directed to email@example.com or 319-273-2121.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.