Blackboard is UNI's online learning management system that supports traditional, hybrid, and online courses.
- Internet access
- Web browser (Chrome and Firefox recommended)
While most students encounter very few technical difficulties with our online courses, technical support is available.
Access Blackboard and Navigate to Your Course
- Visit uni.blackboard.com
- Click University of Northern Iowa CatID SignOn
- Enter your CatID username and passphrase.
- Click LOGIN.
- Click on Courses in the left menu and then select your course title.
- You will first arrive at the Announcements page, where your instructor will post course announcements.
- Navigate through your course using the menu in the left sidebar.
There are several tools used in Blackboard. View our Orientation to Online Learning for more details.
Online Exam Guidelines
- Use Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer and Safari do not support Blackboard, and users can experience difficulty with opening content.
- If your quiz or exam is timed, plan to take it in a single setting.
- Use a reliable, high-speed, Internet connection. An ethernet connection is preferable to a wi-fi connection.
- When ready to submit your quiz or exam, click on the 'Save and Submit' button just once. (It may take Blackboard a few moments to load and save your quiz or exam.)
- Proctored exams– if you're enrolled in a course that's using a proctored exam, separate instructions will be provided by your instructor.
If you experience technical difficulties when taking an exam or quiz, immediately notify the office of Online & Distance Education. Support hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Phone: 319-273-7740
- Email the name of the course, instructor's name, and a description of the problem to firstname.lastname@example.org.