Teaching English in Secondary Schools (TESS) (MA)
Elevate your teaching career with an online program designed specifically for middle and high school teachers.
- Next cohort tentatively scheduled to begin: August 2023
Primarily Online | 30 Credits | 2.5 Years
- Designed primarily for Iowa middle-level and secondary teachers
- Delivered on a cohort basis and completed in eight consecutive semesters (3-6 hours of credit each semester)
- Program coursework and instruction areas include English education pedagogy, writing practice and pedagogy, literature study, including close examination of the range of literature read by adolescents, and classroom research strategies/methodologies
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
Associate Professor, Languages & Literatures
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Teach dual enrollment and community college English classes
- Assume teacher leadership roles
- Align curriculum and classroom practices to best practices in the field of English language arts
Fall and spring courses are offered online on Wednesday nights using the Blackboard learning management system and Zoom video conferencing sessions. These platforms allow students to enhance their learning experience with face-to-face interaction, while building a sense of community with classmates. The summer session typically requires one week of in-person instruction on the UNI campus.
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
Our team of support staff is available to help you throughout your UNI journey.
If you have any questions, contact us at 319-273-7206 or email@example.com for assistance!
Online & Distance Education offers scholarships to UNI teaching alumni who enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program at a distance.
Delivery of program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.