Special Education: Instructional Emphasis (MAE)
Become a highly effective special education teacher to improve outcomes for students with disabilities.
Entirely Online | 30 Credits | 2 Years
You will have the opportunity to specialize in one of two areas:
- K-12 Instructional Strategist II: Intellectual Disabilities endorsement: Instructional practices for educating K-12 students with significant cognitive disabilities
5-12 Instructional Strategist I: Mild/Moderate endorsement: Instructional practices for educating 5-12 students with mild disabilities
Ranked in the top 15% of online master's in education programs in 2023 by U.S. News and World Report
Here to Help
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
Associate Professor, Special Education
Delivered Entirely Online
Courses are offered entirely online using Blackboard, a learning management system, and Zoom interactive video conferencing sessions, to be held on Tuesday evenings; these platforms allow students to enhance their learning experience while building a sense of community.
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Implement best practices related to designing, implementing and evaluating specially designed instruction for students with disabilities
- Engage in relevant and meaningful research to inform practice
- Build professional partnerships and collaborate with special educators across the state of Iowa
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Along with the application, students must submit:
- applicant statement describing your professional background, motivation for applying, and professional goals
- three letters of recommendation, addressing your ability to handle graduate level work and past work with individuals with special needs
- official transcripts, sent directly to the Office of Admissions
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
Our team of support staff is available to help you throughout your UNI journey.
If you have any questions, contact us at 319-273-7206 or email@example.com for assistance!
Online & Distance Education offers scholarships to UNI teaching alumni who enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program at a distance.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.