Special Education: Consultant Emphasis (MAE)
Become a highly effective special education consultant or instructional coach to improve outcomes for students with disabilities.
Entirely Online | 30 Credits | 2 Years
- Designed for highly-qualified special education teachers, with completion leading to an endorsement to serve as a special education consultant (four years of teaching experience required)
- Completion will also lead to an instructional coach certificate
- Learn to coordinate, supervise and evaluate the implementation of evidence-based instructional programs for students with disabilities
- Ranked in the top 15% of online master's in education programs in 2023 by U.S. News and World Report
Here to Help
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
Associate Professor, Special Education
Delivered Entirely Online
Courses are offered entirely online using Blackboard, a learning management system, and Zoom interactive video conferencing sessions, to be held on Tuesday evenings; these platforms allow students to enhance their learning experience while building a sense of community.
What will you learn?
- Coaches will develop competencies in using research-based content teaching strategies, integrating appropriate technology into learning experiences and implementing MTSS to close achievement gaps
- Consultants will receive professional development in curriculum development design and the consultation process (examination, analysis and application of a methodological model for consulting with teachers)
Practice the performance-based application of competencies and skills with a minimum of 90 contact hours. Mentors who are currently serving as instructional coaches, team leaders or consultants will also be assigned to support students
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Along with the application, students must submit:
- applicant statement describing your professional background, motivation for applying, and professional goals
- three letters of recommendation, addressing your ability to handle graduate level work and past work with individuals with special needs
- official transcripts, sent directly to the Office of Admissions
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
Our team of support staff is available to help you throughout your UNI journey.
If you have any questions, contact us at 319-273-7206 or email@example.com for assistance!
Online & Distance Education offers scholarships to UNI teaching alumni who enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program at a distance.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.