Social Science (MA)
Designed specifically for secondary (6-12) social studies classroom teachers to help you broaden your knowledge and understanding of the social sciences and improve student learning in the classroom.
Entirely Online | 30 Credits | 7 Semesters
- Gain knowledge in the social science subjects such as: American history, geography, political science, psychology and world history
- No thesis required, with the option to work on additional endorsements to expand their areas of certification
- Study with the same group of adult learners through our cohort model
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
Our graduates are prepared to:
- serve as leaders in social studies teaching
- implement new teaching strategies designed to improve secondary student learning of social studies
- complete independent research projects to enhance teaching strategies and skills
Courses are offered entirely online on Wednesday evenings using Zoom video conferencing and Blackboard during the Fall and Spring semesters. Summer may include additional video conferencing sessions. During the last summer of the program, there will also be a one-week study tour, focused on a specific topic, in which students will attend relevant sites such as museums and historical sites.
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
Our team of support staff is available to help you throughout your UNI journey.
If you have any questions, contact us at 319-273-7206 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance!
Online & Distance Education offers scholarships to UNI teaching alumni who enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program at a distance.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.