Science Education (MA)
This program integrates theory, application and content, allowing you to update pedagogy, add endorsement areas or update content knowledge in your specialty areas.
- Apply now - begin in June 2022
- Scholarships available for UNI alumni
Primarily Online | 30 Credits | 2 Years
- Designed for practicing K-12 science teachers; elective credits can also be used towards obtaining endorsements in earth science, physics, chemistry or computer science
- The only distance education program in Iowa focused on science educators
- Build a strong foundation in science content knowledge to complement research-based pedagogical practices
- Learn how to teach science in a way that helps students construct their knowledge within an inquiry framework, aligned with the Next Generation Science Education Standards
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
Dawn Del Carlo
Professor, Chemistry, Biology and Science Education
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Continue on in the classroom as highly qualified practitioners
- Move into administrative or state agency roles
- Pursue additional graduate work (Ph.D. or Ed.D.)
Designed for in-service teachers, the program format and schedule provides the convenience and flexibility to fit into your busy life. Using a cohort model, groups of students complete the core coursework together over a two-year period.
Additional electives are taken concurrently or in subsequent semesters in order to complete the program. It is not recommended that full-time teachers take more than 3-4 credits of graduate coursework per semester during the academic year.
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
Students must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university to be admitted. Along with the application, students must submit:
- applicant statement
- letter of recommendation
- writing sample
- official transcripts, sent directly to the Office of Admissions
Online & Distance Education offers scholarships to UNI teaching alumni who enroll in a degree-seeking graduate program at a distance.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.