Social Work: Foundation (MSW)
Prepares you for advanced generalist practice with individuals, families and groups who have experienced a wide array of traumatic experiences.
This track is designed for students who do not have a social work undergraduate degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program.
- Delivered entirely online
- Next cohort begins January 2023
- Apply by September 1, 2022, for full consideration
Entirely Online | 60 Credits | 3.5 Years
- Learn an integrated approach to treating acute and complex forms of psychological trauma, including various cognitive and body-centered psychotherapies and approaches
- Extensive opportunities to practice and refine techniques while under supervision
- The TIC Concentration is cutting-edge and the MSW program is the only program in Iowa that offers this specialty
- Dedicated faculty who have strong relations with human service professionals and agencies
- Department of Social Work has 153 partnerships in 40 Iowa communities that provide quality internships
As an Online & Distance Education student, you’ll have a dedicated Enrollment Contact and Program Coordinator to assist you with registering for classes, navigating the course sequence and billing process, preparing for graduation and much more.
This program incorporates the same high standards and course workload expectations as the on-campus MSW program, but features the convenience of course delivery without the necessity of commuting to campus. Courses are offered online using Blackboard, an online learning management system and Zoom. Most courses will also meet Tuesday and/or Thursday evenings from 6 to 9 p.m. (CST) via interactive video conferencing.
Our graduates are prepared to:
- Excel in positions in substance abuse agencies, mental health facilities, domestic violence shelters, schools, hospitals and prisons
- Provide cutting-edge trauma-specific therapy to a wide range of client systems
- Take on leadership positions in the field
- Pass the Licensed Master of Social Work (LMSW) exam at a rate higher than the national average
Individualized Support Services
Throughout every step of your program, you'll have a dedicated team of support staff ready to assist you. You'll also have access to UNI services such as:
- Personalized academic advising
- Support from Financial Aid, Career Services and Rod Library staff
- Academic support and tutoring opportunities from the Learning Center
- Access to student accessibility services and staff
- Technical support assistance
Complete our online information request form. We'll send program updates, important information and application deadlines directly to your inbox!
To be admitted, students must have:
- an applicant statement responding to questions within the application for admission
- three completed recommendation forms
Along with the application, students should have their official transcripts sent directly to the Office of Admissions. View additional admissions requirements. After applying, interviews will be held in October 2022.
The Master of Social Work program at UNI has multiple programs to fit your schedule. Learn more about additional options through the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences.
Delivery of this program is contingent on a sufficient number of students being accepted into the program.