Course Credit & Grades

For Guided Independent Study Students

UNI credit is in units of semester hours. No more than one-fourth of the work required for an Iowa teaching license or B.A. degree (with the exception of the Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree) may be earned through Guided Independent Study.

The Guided Independent Study Office does not provide academic advising. Questions about applying course credits toward degrees or majors should be directed to the appropriate academic department or your record analyst. You are responsible for acceptance of credit at the institution in which you are enrolled. If you wish to transfer credit to another school from UNI, you should make specific arrangements with that institution prior to enrolling in any course.

Post Baccalaureate Students

Any student with a B.A. degree who is taking a graduate-level course is expected to complete the course for graduate credit. If enrolling as a graduate student with a degree earned at an institution other than UNI, you must request verification of all degrees B.A. or higher from each institution. Requests can often be made in writing, by phone, fax, email or online through the institution. To be considered official, verifications or transcripts must be sent from the issuing institution direct to the UNI Office of the Registrar, 115 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA, 50614-0006, or faxed to 319-273-6792.

*Important Note for Degree-Seeking UNI Graduate Students*

Per the Graduate College policy (#6) on Program of Study Regulations, "GIS courses may not ordinarily be applied toward a graduate degree program. In unusual circumstances a student may request that a maximum of 3 semester hours of 5000-level correspondence/UNI Guided Independent Study credit be applied to a graduate degree program. The online student request must be submitted and approved prior to registering for the course." The request form can be found on MyUNIverse and the request type is Z. Please consult with your advisor about the applicability of course work toward your degree requirements. With the consent of the graduate college dean, graduate students may use Guided Independent Study to remove deficiencies in their undergraduate work.


After completing a course, you will receive a letter grade. Guided Independent Study courses may not be taken on a pass-fail or audit basis. You must complete all assignments and exams to pass a course. If you withdraw prior to completing two-thirds of the coursework, a “W” will be reported. If you withdraw after two-thirds of the work has been completed, you will receive an “F.”

Transcript ordering options are available through the Office of the Registrar.