After retiring from the University of Northern Iowa, Dr. Raymond Schlicher served as the dean emeritus of the Division of Continuing Education & Special Programs until his passing in 1990. A fund was established in memorial by his family to support non-traditional students. Dr. Schlicher’s wife, Genevieve, served in the Registrar’s office for many years. With the passing of Mrs. Schlicher in 2012 the scholarship’s name was changed to honor both of them and their service to UNI. Since its inception, 24 students have been awarded the scholarship.
Approximately 2-4 applicants will be awarded scholarships ranging from $500 – $1,000 each. Half of the scholarship will be applied to Fall 2021 tuition and the second half to Spring 2022 tuition. Full consideration will be given to applications received by July 16, 2021. Recipients will be notified of their award by the end of August.
- Non-traditional student - be one of these students as defined by UNI:
- 25 years of age or older
- student with children
- part-time student (6 hours or less)
- student who did not attend college directly after high school
- Declared as a Bachelor of Liberal Studies, General Studies or Individual Studies degree-seeking student
- UNI GPA of 2.5
- Must be enrolled at least part time for the 2021-22 academic year
- Example: be enrolled in 3 hours in Fall 2021 and 3 hours in Spring 2022